• Wavelets and Animations with waveSharp 0.2

Scotty Bishop

There is a nice little piece of software that can be used for both wavelet sharpening and making an animated gif with planetary, lunar, and solar imaging called waveSharp, and it is free! It has a pretty easy to use and straightforward interface, and since it is 64 bit software I have no need of using Registax for wavelets any more. In fact the wavelet sharpening is based off of Registax. You can get it here: https://github.com/CorBer/waveSharp

Here is a sc
    reenshot of what it looks like. I had already used the batch function to do all the wavelets in all of the planetary observations here, so this has very minimal sharpening reapplied to it, but if you have ever used Registax you will be familiar with these sliders.

image.thumb.png.82a5b6a04d34bd7dd1299c89cc48c89b.png

Some of the other functions are color balancing and stretching, and then color alignment as well. These are pretty easy with both automatic and manual functions, and if you get things way off you can always click a button to reset things.

image.thumb.png.0acb56639cf832ba9222ac149e44762d.png

If you want to batch process everything from one set of images you can do that in the batch processing tab, which is also where you will do an animated gif. When you load your batch by using the "select batch" button you will go back to the processing tab and whatever you do to the first loaded image will be applied to the rest when you hit the "save batch" button. You will have the choice to do a .png or .tiff file type, and since I use Photoshop I prefer the .tiff format.

For an animated gif you will also do the select batch and then down lower you will set your fps, width of your animation in pixels, and then hit the "gif" button. You can also do an animated png as well. If you have done some more processing after wavelets in Photoshop you can still load the frames in there as long as they are a .tiff .tif or .png. You will not be able to load a .jpg as of the release I am using, which was last updated in January.

image.thumb.png.5aef8a0fb3b3d66708a14b92d8a3442e.png

On the post processing tab you can resize your images:

image.png.2ea815714bb3f22842370518fbaab83d.png

There are also multiple options on the preprocessing tab:

image.thumb.png.9f5bc207d010da4ae70e676dc71da600.png

On the interface tab you can change colors around, but I left them at the default for this:

image.png.49ef37bf9d983a6ed3e03da05cfe1195.png

You probably noticed the row of buttons down the side of the above screenshots. Those buttons are as follows from top to bottom: Open a file, save a file, file history, switch between color and B&W, switch between ROI and full image processing, show histogram, zoom in, RGB align, set whitepoint on image, show low and high processing areas on image, drag image, and run batch test.

That is pretty much it for this program. It is an easy to use interface that allows wavelet sharpening using gaussian, zerogauss, and bilateral wavelet sharpening, batch processing, resizing, and saving animated images. Here is the output from the image I have in the images used in this quick overview of waveSharp 0.2

The only thing you do need to watch is the rotation if you run an animated gif because default as loaded on this one had it going backwards, so I renamed them as 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, and 08. If you have 10 or more images you will want to start with 001, 002, etc, so your first digit is always a 0 which will keep things properly ordered,

animated_w608h552c255.gif.384de85859276dad7f578fb86c6163dc.gif

• Like 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Guidelines