Jump to content

Witch Head data not loading into WBPP


Recommended Posts

Been sitting on this data for a minute meaning to come back to it as I am having issues with it not loading at all into WBPP. Wound up stacking in DSS, but when combining RGB in PI the stars are misaligned very slightly. Saw something about possibly PI doesn't like something in the Fits header so thought I would ask here if this is the issue as I don't see it. Thanks for any advice.

Screenshot 2024-03-26 193322.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ERNESTO GUIDO said:

Hello Doyne, 

Please have a look at this thread:

 

 

Clear Skies,

Ernesto

Thank you for the reply. I read those posts prior to mine, so I gather the issue is in this highlighted area?

Screenshot 2024-03-27 063810.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Doyne Tallman said:

Thank you for the reply. I read those posts prior to mine, so I gather the issue is in this highlighted area?

Screenshot 2024-03-27 063810.png

This problem is related to the OBJECTRA, in this instance it reads 5 01 60.00 but should read 5 02 00

We did some digging and I believe it's related to just a few images from this camera on this telescope, there is more information in the thread if you want to adjust these to stack with WBPP

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Alexander Curry said:

This problem is related to the OBJECTRA, in this instance it reads 5 01 60.00 but should read 5 02 00

We did some digging and I believe it's related to just a few images from this camera on this telescope, there is more information in the thread if you want to adjust these to stack with WBPP

Yeah, Norton won't let that program install, even when I try to run as admin.🤷‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sure you probably know this already, but as tedious as it is I think your best option is to correct the FITS header OBJECTRA directly for each affected file before using WBPP.  

Another possible option might be to use the Image Solver script to get an astrometric solution for one sub exposure and then use the Image Container with the remaining sub exposures that need to be corrected and apply it to the Copy Coordinates script, using the sub exposure with the astrometric solution to copy to the remaining sub exposures that need to be corrected.  I'm not sure this one would work, but I may download this data and test it myself to see what happens as I am now curious...

So, I tested my hypothesis and this will not work.  The Copy Coordinates script will only work with one image at a time.  That said, you can still get an astrometric solution for one sub exposure via Image Solver script and then if you know there are a limited number of subs with the incorrect OBJECTRA info, you can then use the Copy Coordinates script to copy the astrometric solution over to the affected subs - may save you some time.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Reggie Jones said:

I'm sure you probably know this already, but as tedious as it is I think your best option is to correct the FITS header OBJECTRA directly for each affected file before using WBPP.  

Another possible option might be to use the Image Solver script to get an astrometric solution for one sub exposure and then use the Image Container with the remaining sub exposures that need to be corrected and apply it to the Copy Coordinates script, using the sub exposure with the astrometric solution to copy to the remaining sub exposures that need to be corrected.  I'm not sure this one would work, but I may download this data and test it myself to see what happens as I am now curious...

So, I tested my hypothesis and this will not work.  The Copy Coordinates script will only work with one image at a time.  That said, you can still get an astrometric solution for one sub exposure via Image Solver script and then if you know there are a limited number of subs with the incorrect OBJECTRA info, you can then use the Copy Coordinates script to copy the astrometric solution over to the affected subs - may save you some time.

I checked all LRGB files and all have the OBJECTRA issue, any suggestion of an app that Norton won't auto delete upon download to change the header would be appreciated. Currently using ESA/ESO/NASA Fits liberator 3 just to read the full header, but it won't let me change anything. I'm not the most technical savy but I'll try to figure out the new Copy Coordinates script that got changed and see if that works for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/29/2024 at 12:22 AM, Reggie Jones said:

The Copy Coordinates script is pretty simple to use.  It just asks for the source image of the coordinates you want to use and then you apply the instance to the image you want to copy the coordinates to.

I managed to get it all done in the Image Solver script, somewhat mind numbing with all the files. Got them all except for one each of RGB so it's all good.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Guidelines