Whether or not to use calibration files

Hello,

I have recently started astrophotography with Pixinsight and Telescope.live. Most of the tutorials here and there suggest importing Darks, flats and bias files via WBPP at the same time as the lights. 
When I retrieve the files from an object to work on, the calibration files are missing. When I go to the "calibration frames" section of the interface, I don't know if I should only take the calibration masters (masterDark,....) linked to the telescope or should I take each file separately (Darks, bias...)?
Many thanks for your reply.
Have a nice day.

PS : excusez-moi pour mon anglais. Je suis français 😁

Hello Laurent,

Please consider that all frames in our archive comes already calibrated (for flat, dark, bias etc) so you need to download the calibration frames only if you download RAW light frame and want to do the calibration by yourself. 

Clear Skies,

Ernesto

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I haven't found much use for Calibration frames and re-running the entire calibration process myself. In fact, with these new IMX455 sensors, I actually got away with doing flats only for a while in another observatory. I'm happy they're already calibrated here. 

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I too am "new" to Pixinsght. I am attempting to run the MuirDenoise script on some images and need to generate the detector characteristics.  To do this I think I need to run the MuirDenoiseDetectorSettings script and it (appears to me) to only accept image files that I have opened in Pixinsight.  I downloaded calibration files from TelescopeLive and I can't open the files (no readable image files).    Not sure what I need to do at this point but I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Hello George, 

Please consider that raw frames are compressed and PI is unable to read it. So you need to convert it before using the raw frames in PI. For example you can open the raw frames with free software SIRIL and then save it. After that PI will be able to read it. Otherwise you can follow the info shared in this post below:

https://community.telescope.live/topic/94-raw-subs-are-compressed-funpack-does-not-know-how-to-uncompress-them/

In particular there is a tool developed by @Jarmo Ruuth, you'll find all the info in the post above.

Clear Skies,

Ernesto