Can't do a minor planet/comet - getting html error with empty debug output

I'm getting an error if i try and target  panstarrs c/2021 s3.  I used the ephemeris service name of

CK21S030 

and i validated the data in the linked service and i see it fetches the current postition but then when i click next i get:

Error message occurred getting telescopes. Error: Error. <html> <head> <title>Minor Planet Ephemerides</title> </head> <body> <h1>Minor Planet Ephemerides</h1> <a href="https://www.minorplanetcenter.net/iau/info/MissingNames.html">No object found with the name</a> CK2, please reenter it (or use the designation). DEBUG = ** [ ][ ] </body> </html>

Hi Byron, 

I noticed recently that for a few comets we are receiving back an error from MPC when we automatically ask for ephemeris. We are investigated this issue. 

As a a temporary fix please try the following:

Select "Comet, asteroid or other solar system body" and write the following in the field:

2021 S3

Then click on the "Retrieve Ephemeris" button. 

Once you have the result please be sure to to cancel the empty spaces before the "CK21S030" in the Ephemerides (MPC 1-line). See attached image.

After that you can proceed to the next step and choose the available telescope. 

Clear Skies,

Ernesto

image.thumb.png.bdce9d34134fe6259bf763a7ebfb4373.png

Of course, another easy way to schedule a comet or asteroid observation is to try entering the coordinates yourself calculated for a particular date/time and schedule the obs on the calendar accordingly using the CUSTOM SCHEDULING (you can get the comet coordinates for example from the Minor Planet Center website). Just insert the COMET NAME in the first field (Stars, galaxies or nebulae) and insert RA and DEC. 

Just as a reminder, my suggestion for all comet/asteroid observations (even the ones with automatic retrieve of the ephemerides) is to use CUSTOM SCHEDULING instead of the Automated one. (With the automated scheduling, you may find that half your observing is done on one day and the other half on the following days. While this is OK for a galaxy or nebula, it is not recommended for moving objects).

Clear Skies,

Ernesto

yeah, i saw that June 6th was the soonest i could schedule, so i got the coordinates for then - but thanks for helping guide me to the address the error by removing a white space that seemed to come in. I did select custom schedule, selected a time box and put the coordinates in. look forward to capturing the data 

• Like 1