Current Workflow OSC

Ryan Voykin

Thanks for sharing that PDF, it's a good starter and reminder of bits I forgot about!

I use the Adam Block method (might be someone else's, but I learnt it from his videos) to use StarXterminator before DBE. (and in DBE tick Normalise)

Question Why would you image solve before cropping?

Personally I don't bother with SPCC on OSC narrowband (I use Ha/Oiii and Sii/Oiii filters) BUT I do on the RGB stars I create, then just do a basic GHS stretch then import this to the narrowband nebula.

Also, I believe SPCC is a moot point if certain stretches are done, there is something in the PI forum about what constitutes to 'overwriting' what SPCC is doing.

I believe Russell Croman suggested NoiseXterminator is best leaving until towards the end of non-linear, (I personally get some odd artificats when using it in linear, then stretching)

Good to see you are sing all of Bill B's and Mike's scripts, they are game changers!

Luke / AstroArg

On 10/1/2023 at 12:34 AM, Reggie Jones said:

I actually will use SPCC on narrowband data as I've found in my experience that it helps correct issues with star colors that I've had in some datasets.  

I didn't think you can get true colour on stars with narrowband data/SPCC?  I might have to have another look into this

1 hour ago, Luke Argent said:

I didn't think you can get true colour on stars with narrowband data/SPCC?  I might have to have another look into this

If you try this, make sure the specific narrowband wavelengths are accurate (Ha SII OIII).  I've been using 656.30 @ 3nm for Ha, 671.60 @ 3nm for SII and 500.70 @ 3nm for OIII for the QHY 600M camera and the IMX-455 chip selection.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2023 at 1:06 PM, Luke Argent said:

Thanks for sharing that PDF, it's a good starter and reminder of bits I forgot about!

I use the Adam Block method (might be someone else's, but I learnt it from his videos) to use StarXterminator before DBE. (and in DBE tick Normalise)

Question Why would you image solve before cropping?

Personally I don't bother with SPCC on OSC narrowband (I use Ha/Oiii and Sii/Oiii filters) BUT I do on the RGB stars I create, then just do a basic GHS stretch then import this to the narrowband nebula.

Also, I believe SPCC is a moot point if certain stretches are done, there is something in the PI forum about what constitutes to 'overwriting' what SPCC is doing.

I believe Russell Croman suggested NoiseXterminator is best leaving until towards the end of non-linear, (I personally get some odd artificats when using it in linear, then stretching)

Good to see you are sing all of Bill B's and Mike's scripts, they are game changers!

Luke / AstroArg

I started image solving first, because I was getting an error message after the most recent update that I would lose my asymmetric solution.  it honestly doesn’t really matter when you do it but I figured why risk it also, I found that BlurX can also cause issues depending on settings so I just do it right away.  

I’ve never seen anyone run StarXterminator before DBE but something to try 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don’t really use SPCC that often only when I am using RGB data as it’s not great with narrowband imaging.  Even a lot of times with RGB I don’t run it though you have to remember I’m making content for the general public most people use SPCC because they don’t use GHS.  So they’re doing a very basic stretch which should hold most of the color correction.  Either way I’ve edited 2 images with and without color calibration dragging and dropping the same stretch and it does keep some of the changes as the images look different afterwards whether you stretch using pixel math or GHS.

It really just comes down to what look you’re going for sometimes I use pixel math formulas or Foraxx or just your standard SHO.  I don’t really subscribe to there being one correct way to edit any image I think it just depends on what luck you’re going for.  

When I put out videos, I am not trying to say this is the “only way” or the “right way” it’s just the way that works for me. It’s constantly evolving and I’ve spoken to Russel C, Bill B, etc directly about their tools so I try to get accurate information.  

I think people can do whatever works for them and these videos from what I’ve been told have helped a lot of people who don’t have a background or may be stuck somewhere get started and that’s my only goal.  

any processing video will be out of date within six months anyway because new tools will come out, so I just try to constantly keep my YouTube updated with new videos on anything Astro photography it’s all volunteer at this point.

I looked at this as a community, and I’m just trying to give back what was given to me, and share some things that work in my image processing 👍🏼

Edited by Ryan Voykin